According to legend, the name of Lioujia originated over three hundred sixty years ago. Near the end of the Ming Dynasty, Chen Yonghua, one of Zheng Chengkung's (Koxinga) chief counselors, was stationed here, and proceeded to cultivate the wastelands and turn them into farmland. The land was separated into the areas of Erjia, Lioujia, and Qijia, which was named for the size of the land, from which the villages took their name. Eventually Erjia, Lioujia and Qijia were combined together into one land, and since Lioujia was the central point, it was renamed Lioujia Township.
The ancestors of the residents in this region hail from China's Fujian Province. At the beginning of the Qing Dynasty Taiwan was under the jurisdiction of Fujian Province, which established the Taiwanese government into three counties. The Lioujia region was under the jurisdiction of Zhuluo County's Chishan Fort. The First Sino-Japanese War began in the middle of Qing Guangxu's reign (1894), but due to a Qing defeat the following year, the war was ended through the signing of the Treaty of Shimonoseki. In the treaty the Qing ceded Taiwan to Japan, which caused the region to be under the jurisdiction of the newly created Jiayi County's Lioujia administrative hall. During the middle of the Meiji era (November 1900), they demolished Lioujia's administrative hall, and built the Yanshuigang Hall, which now governed Lioujia. In the Meiji era (1908), Yanshuigang Hall was demolished, and Lioujia fell under the authority of the Tainan Hall, Lioujia branch. In the later years of the Taisho era (October 1, 1920), the local administrative system was reformed under the state of Tainan, Zengwen County, Lioujia village. The first director created the local autocracy and by combining fourteen tribes, this region was officially renamed to Lioujia Township after World War II in 1945.